Click "open"; nothing happens.
1) left-clicking attachments to emails gets the dialogue box with "open" and "save". Clicking "open" closes the dialogue box, but nothing opens and no error messages. True for Word and .pdf files, and, yes, I have Word and Adobe reader.
2) clicking "save" (or "save as") will get the document in my file. But after saving, a dialogue box appears asking if I wish to "open." Clicking "open" again makes the dialogue box go away, but nothing opens.
3) same thing happens with files downloaded from a legal database. I can save the file, but the "open" button just vanishes with nothing actually opening.
4) similar thing happened when trying to download latest Adobe reader--I got the "run" or "save" boxes. Clicking "run" did nothing. I could save the file, and then open the file and the program loaded.
5) possibly related: at roughly the same time this happened, I lost the ability to print .pdf files from Acrobat. Error message said nothing was selected to print, but of course, it was.
Very annoying. Any help would be appreciated.
Solutions to the Problem Click "open"; nothing happens.
It sounds like you could have a virus or other malware.
Get your antivirus program up to date and boot into
Note that some viruses can hide themselves from your antivirus program in normal mode, so you really need to scan in
To get into Safe Mode when you first power up, hit F8 about once a second until you get the menu and select Safe Mode.
Then run a full system scan.
Microsoft has suggestions and offerings at
Forum moderator Keith has some suggestions along this line at
If that fixes it, fine.
If not, use System Restore to go back to a date prior to the beginning of the problem.
To run System Restore, click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.
Click the box that says
Show more restore points.
You can check for corrupted system files.
Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help.
Click START, then type
CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator.
Then from the command prompt type
Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log.
To do so click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer.
Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged
"error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
When you get your system back in good working order, I urge you to back your system up to an external hard drive and make regular periodic updates to it.
I hope this helps.
System Restore - Fix All Errors including Click "open"; nothing happens.
- Click on the Start button on the Taskbar.
- Type "System Restore" (without quotes) in the Search box and hit Enter or,
- Click on System Restore (when you see System Restore pop up in the list of search results).
- Make sure the "Recommended restore" radio button is checked on the restore utility window.
- Click on Next and follow the instructions given.
Note: There is the option on the restore utility to select "Choose a different restore point". Unless you have a specific reason to select a different date and time than what Windows recommends, just select the recommended option stated in the steps above. If you choose to select another one, follow these steps:Click on that desired date and time, and Windows 7 will perform a scan for any affected programs in that restore point.
Once completed, click Next and follow the instructions given.
Once you have selected the restore point, your system will start the restoring process, after which you will have to restart the system.
Recommended Method to Fix the Problem: Click "open"; nothing happens.:
How to Fix Click "open"; nothing happens. with SmartPCFixer?
1. Download Error Fixer. Install it on your system.
2. After the scan is finished, you can see the errors and problems which need to be fixed.
3. When the Fixing part is done, your computer has been speeded up and the errors have been fixed
Related: How Can You Update & Download Toshiba Satellite 5105-S501 Intel PRO 10/100 Driver v.188.8.131.52,How to Update & Download Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5139 BookPlace v.2.2.7530 driver,Method to Update & Download Toshiba Satellite L655-S5073 Realtek Wireless LAN Driver v.2.00.0011,Method to Update & Download Toshiba Satellite L840-ST2N01 Sleep Utility v.1.4.0022.000104 driver,Best Way to Update & Download Toshiba Satellite Pro S300-EZ2502 Extended Tiles for Windows Mobility Center v.1.01 driver,Best Way to Download NVidia GeForce 6100 VGA Driver v.304.51 Certified,How Can You Update & Download NVidia GeForce 9300/nForce 730i VGA Driver v.310.19 Certified,Method to Download NVidia GeForce GT 330M Driver v.340.65,How Can I Update & Download NVidia GeForce GTX 590 Driver v.280.26 WHQL,Method to Download NVidia Tesla C2050 Driver v.319.17,Way to Download RealTek RTL8100C(L) Driver v.5.01,Way to Download RealTek RTL8100E Drivers v.694,Way to Update & Download RealTek RTL8101L Auto Installation Program v.6.110 driver,Method to Update & Download RealTek RTL8111G PXE and RPL ROM code v.2.58 driver,How to Update & Download RealTek RTL8411B(N) Driver v.10.003,Best Way to Update & Download ASUS A53SV nVidia Graphics Driver v.184.108.40.20686,Method to Herunterladen ASUS K75VJ Intel Rapid Storage Technology Treiber v.220.127.116.110,How Can You Update & Download ASUS CG8580 Intel Chipset Driver v.18.104.22.1689,Method to Update & Download ASUS K41VD Intel INF Update Driver v.22.214.171.1245,Way to Update & Download ASUS Pro70T NB Probe v.3.0.0026 driver,Can't Download PP Templates Automatically To Windows 7 W/IE 8,Can't Change Drive Letter - Vista,Can't Change Homegroup Sharing Permission,Can't Connect XP Shared Printer To Win7 Except As A Local Printer.__,Can You Connect The LAN Adapter For Wii On Your Windows 7 Laptop?
Read More: How to Fix - Cell interior/border colors, based on first value exceeding $100K?,class not registered message when trying to download free fonts Tech Support,Fast Solution to Error: change cell reference based on top cell of range after filtering column,Troubleshooter of Error: Captions in text boxes won't update,Troubleshooting:chkdsk hangs in Windows XP Error,Can't access c drive to open programs.,Can you use just one hard drive to store a backup disk image and restore for multiple computers?,can not install Mcafee due to Java script error,,Can Word's track changes comments print in the outside border?,cannot install old software program because computer missing indeo codec driver